Orpheus - The Mind's Exotica CD (album) cover

THE MIND'S EXOTICA

Orpheus

Evolver
Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars What is this? Emo prog? The music is actually very good, and very progressive. The swirling guitars and keyboards are nice, and the rhythm section plays the complicated time signatures quite well. But those moaning vocals just put me off. Singer James Young sounds to me like he listened to far too many of those moody late eighties / early ninties glam bands that filled up the "alternative" airways. As a guitaris and keyboardist, however, I think he has a promising future.

I think, if this album was released as an instrumental piece, it would get regular listens around my household. But as it is, I'm glad I have a copy, but it will only come out on rare occasions.

Evolver | 3/5 |