Mahavishnu Orchestra - Visions Of The Emerald Beyond CD (album) cover

VISIONS OF THE EMERALD BEYOND

Mahavishnu Orchestra

BrufordFreak
5 stars I couldn't agree with Ivan Melgar more: I always felt more engaged and satisfied by the second incarnation of the Mahavishnu Orchestra. The flash of the first incarnation never drew me back for reasons of pleasure, more for reasons of amazement and awe. And now, forty years later, I find Inner Mounting Flame and Birds of Fire hardly listenable, while Visions and Apacolypse have a warmth and friendliness that invite me in and keep me wanting to come back. Understand: Goodman, Cobham, Laird and Hammer are amazing and impressive intrumentalists but it was like they were all just waiting for their turn to flash--to solo--not really making music or songs; second incarnation MU are cohesive band playing memorable music, playing songs. The first incarnation are jaw dropping amazing; the second incarnation produced music I want to listen to.
BrufordFreak | 5/5 |

Share this MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA review

Other sites in the MAC network: JazzMusicArchives.com — jazz music reviews and archives | MetalMusicArchives.com — metal music revuew and archives