Robert Rich - Gaudi CD (album) cover

Robert Rich

Progressive Electronic

2 stars Gosh, I think I'll be sticking with the far superior 'Steve Roach' from now on. Two crumby Robert Rich reviews in a row is something I never thought I'd encounter.

You know, the problem with Robert Rich and his counterpart Steve Roach is that when they add elements of percussion to their albums things just sound cheesy and pretentious.

'Gaudi' wouldn't be so bad if it had some semblance of a tune or hook, but for the first 30 minutes this is just a dreary meandering album that leads nowhere. Thankfully around the half way point things pick up with 'Harmonic Clouds' where a beautiful non percussive track with delicately echoing bells and highly sustained keyboard chords float about like fluffy white clouds in a blue sky.

What begins off as a stinker, rapidly improves during the second, mostly beatless half where the album sounds reminiscent of 'Harold Budd's' more ethereal moments. Unfortunately 'Gaudi' falls flat on its face again on the last track with some unwanted run of the mill electronic percussion.

Dobermensch | 2/5 |