The Mars Volta - Amputechture CD (album) cover

The Mars Volta

4 stars Not quite as consistantly good as De-Loused, but still darn good! This was my first exposure to The Mars Volta, and it totally blew me away. There are some awesome prog tunes here: Tetragrammaton, Meccamputecture, and my favorite, the intense and wild ride of Day of the Baphomets. I never get tired of listening to this song!!! And it even feature a wild bongo? solo! Pure wonderfulness in 12 minutes. The rest of the album is also good with only a few dry spots. Is it as good as De-Loused in the Comatorium? Perhaps, but it is close. I enjoy them both equally, much more than Bedlam in Goliath or Francis the Mute. When I am not in the mood, this is 3 stars. When I am ready for all out Mars Volta madness, 4 1/2 stars.
mohaveman | 4/5 |