Fairport Convention - Heyday BBC Radio Sessions 1968-1969 CD (album) cover

Fairport Convention

3 stars Heyday is a very good album for the hardcore folk-fans, but this is not where to begin exploring F.C. if you're into the more progressive side of folk. Many of the songs exist in other versions on their other albums. At this early stage of their career the band didn't really stand out from other folk band, and they were too dependent on the Dylan and Cohen covers. Of course, there are some real highlight here, I like "Reno, Nevada" and "Close the door lightly...", but overall I think this album is a weak one compared to "Liege & Lief" and "Unhalhbricking". Don't get me wrong though, a F.C. album with this allstar line-up is NEVER bad. I see that the cd in this listing has a lot of bonus tracks, which my copy don't have. I can't say anything about these versions of the bonus tracks, but they shouldn't be a disappointment since the original versions are very nice. Three big stars!
1971 | 3/5 |