The Violet Hour - The Fire Sermon CD (album) cover

The Violet Hour

5 stars My first contact to THE VIOLET HOUR ? Well, I saw this wonderful group as a support-act on german-tour together with Marillion. I buyed CD - as fast as possible - directly after the concert. Unfortunately, "The Fire Sermon" is the only - and meanwhile deleted (thanks to SONY) - longplayer from THE VIOLET HOUR. I'm still very sad about this matter, it's a waste of huge potential.

This group is very difficult to classify. I really don't know 'till now, but "neoprogressive" doesn't seems to fit this kind of style perfectly. Nevertheless, THE VIOLET HOUR are playing with a very progressive touch, but it's not really prog-rock. The album is well-stocked with some folk elements, but you cannot call it folk-prog. So, I will call it "Dream-Prog" ;-) Why ? Because the album is full of wonderful warm moments. It's building up a melodic, melancholic, emotional, unique and independent atmosphere, featuring great and very catchy female voices of Doris Brendel. A perfect CD for your personal "calm down" after a long hard working day. After all these years now, there's still something magical around this album. It never lost it's charm. "The Fire Sermon" is one of my personal all-time-favourites in my collection.

Buy this album, if you can get it, it's a timeless masterpiece and a lost pearl.

Grendelbox | 5/5 |