Spock's Beard - V CD (album) cover

V

Spock's Beard

Warthur
3 stars Most of you can probably think of one or two bands where you can happily concede that technically speaking they're good performers and you can sort of understand why their fans enjoy their work - but at the same time you absolutely can't stand their stuff and don't want to hear it one bit. For me, Kansas is one of those bands - and perhaps the inevitable result of that is that Spock's Beard is also one of those bands.

I don't know what it is - the cheesiness of the vocal harmonies, the prog-by-numbers songwriting approach, or just the atmosphere of glowing self-satisfaction evoked by the music, but I just can't bear it. I'll give it three stars because I can understand why some people might like it, but I won't give it more than three stars as a clear sign that tastes vary and individual listeners may love it or hate it.

Warthur | 3/5 |