Dream Theater - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence  CD (album) cover

Dream Theater

3 stars My reaction to Six Degrees is much the same as my reaction to Scenes From a Memory: I'm impressed by Dream Theater's technical capabilities, but at the same time the whole thing fails to connect me on an emotional or an atmospheric level, leaving me with a super-indulgent display of technicality for technicality's sake.

Referring to the second disc as a single 42 minute song stretches the definition of "song" to breaking point (I'd be more inclined to say it's a continuous concept album/rock opera myself); I don't get why people are so blown away by Dream Theater doing this when bands ranging from Jethro Tull to Pink Floyd to The Who to Marillion to Edge of Sanity had done album-length suites of continuous music before, to a similar degree of technical accomplishment as Dream Theater but at the same time also succeeding in engaging the listener on an emotional level and establishing a distinctive atmosphere.

In short, I just plain don't get Dream Theater. But if you do you may as well try this one out, you'll probably like it.

Warthur | 3/5 |