My Brother The Wind - I Wash My Soul In The Stream Of Inifinity CD (album) cover

I WASH MY SOUL IN THE STREAM OF INIFINITY

My Brother The Wind

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Heptade
4 stars This nifty band containing Nicklas Barker, singer/guitarist/mellotronist of Anekdoten fame, carries the banner of 70s space rock and raises it high (figuratively, one would assume!). While Barker's band is generally quite dark, I'd describe this instrumental combo's sound as more "exultant". They seem to rejoice in the sheer size of the sound they can produce. The influences are mainly pleasantly vintage, with quieter passages reminiscent of Popol Vuh (track 2), raging storms that evoke vintage Hawkwind, spacy jams a la Ash Ra Tempel (track 4), and aggressively jazzy bits that remind me a bit of their Swedish contemporaries in Dungen. Some parts even remind me of the Verve's 90s masterpiece "A Northern Soul".

And of course, the glorious 'tron is in full effect all over this record. Despite the band wearing its influences on its sleeve, this music does have its own character, as all good music does. And the jams never seem indulgent - vibe is king. My personal favourite is the ultra-far-out title track, since my tastes veer more to the ambient end of things. But the whole album is a pleasure and is essential listening for fans of psychedelia, Krautrock and spacerock. Pick this one up!

Heptade | 4/5 |