The Gathering - How to Measure a Planet? CD (album) cover

HOW TO MEASURE A PLANET?

The Gathering

Experimental/Post Metal

zaxx
4 stars This double album would require two reviews, as the two parts are totally different, almost like they were played by two different bands. Part I is classic Gathering, with more mellow songs than on Nighttime Birds. Part II is much more experimental, with less vocals and more instrumental parts.

The more memorable tracks on disc I would be "Frail", "My Electricity", "Red Is A Slow Colour" and "Marooned" (I love the "croaking" on this one) - all beautiful melodies with awesome vocal performance. "Liberty Bell" is the heaviest track and "Travel" probably the darkest. The Gathering at their best.

I didn't really enjoy disc II as I found the songs too hermetic. The title track is 28+ minutes of ambient music, somewhere between Echoes from Pink Floyd and Dreaming The Romance from Anathema.

Rating: 93/100 (disc I - 5 stars) + 76/100 (disc II - 3 stars)

zaxx | 4/5 |