The Gathering - If_Then_Else CD (album) cover

IF_THEN_ELSE

The Gathering

Experimental/Post Metal

zaxx
4 stars With this album, The Gathering finally settled their sound. More instruments are used here and the result is a mix of rock and electronic music. I'd say I prefer the Mandylion/Nighttime Birds era for the voice of Anneke van Giersbergen has lost a bit of power.

My highlights on this album would be "Rollercoaster", "Amity", "Analog Park" (three mellow songs) and "Saturnine" (nice progressive song). "Beautiful War" is a short instrumental that shows that The Gathering still know how to get heavy at times.

Rating: 85/100