Twenty Four Hours - Oval Dreams CD (album) cover

OVAL DREAMS

Twenty Four Hours

Evolver
Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars This album took a while to grow on me. At first listen, while I understood it's prog credentials, it just didn't make any lasting impression. On further spins, it began to creep up on me.

Most of the album, the first six songs actually, are something of a throwback to late sixties, early seventies psychedelic prog. The songs are adequately played, and the basslines stand out to me as particularly good. The Road of Madness sounded a bit familiar to me. Listening closer, I found that the main verse chord progression is strikingly similar to I Talk To The Wind.

The album really picks up steam for the final two tracks. Twenty Four Pink Hot Tentacles is an almost fusiony instrumental jam, with some hot guitar playing. And The Bastards is the most progressive track, with an aggressive verse, and some forays into amorphous tone poems.

This is a nice album, and certainly has some value to the prog enthusiast.

Evolver | 3/5 |