Steve Hogarth - Not The Weapon But The Hand (with Richard Barbieri) CD (album) cover

NOT THE WEAPON BUT THE HAND (WITH RICHARD BARBIERI)

Steve Hogarth

sussexbowler
2 stars Back in 1989 my brother bought me a casette of 'Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe'. It was a revelation, and made me realise that the eighties (for me at least) had been a waste of time musically.

ABWH was, of course, 'classic' (sort of) Yes, but more importantly, the SOUND of Prog...

Moving on 23 years, I admit to being 'taken in', by a demo that included the first song, 'Red kite.' A combination of the worthy voice of Steve Hogarth, combined with some 'moody' keyboards. The concept seemed interesting.

I say taken in, because the rest of the album is rather like a combination of the band Japan, and the album 'Vespertine' by Bjork, where some electronic pulses are mated with vocals and extra sounds to complete a song.

Eventually, we got back to the sound that I was originally hoping for, only to find that it was half a song, and the finale 'Not the weapon but the hand.'

My point here, is that this album is closer to 'Pop', than to 'Rock'. You think that you are venturing down a 'worthy' path (because the album's been made by artists associated with Prog), but in reality, it is a fruitless, hollow trip.

sussexbowler | 2/5 |