Porcupine Tree - Signify CD (album) cover

SIGNIFY

Porcupine Tree

ProgShine
2 stars OK, this is my 6th try to 'get into' the Porcupine Tree sound. Much is said about the band and how 'genious' Steven Wilson is, but to tell you the truth. Genious my a**!

Signify is boring, basically, begin to end. And to me, doesn't matter if it was released on 96, 85 or 73, this album have the kind of keyboards and drums sounds I simply can't stand, blame Richard Barbieri and Steven Wilson. They seems to be fake and cheap, doesn't matter the way I look at it. And it's a thing that kills many many albums since 90's.

People say that is a 'transition' album, and you have to 'listen before and after' to get. Ok, so Progressive Rock now it's not only symphony tracks and conceptual albums but conceptual discographies as well? Give me a break!

An album it is what is is. If, for instance, Ummagumma from Pink Floyd sucks because they were 'trying to find their way'? Can be, but you know? Doesn't matter, at the end of the day you get your Animals copy to hear, not Ummagumma. If you get what I mean.

I cannot say that there's no interesting moments AT ALL on the album. The intro in 'Bornlivedie' with the radio it's interesting, 'Signify' almost made me believe that good things would come, but all in all only 'Dark Matter' really matters (no pum intended).

If Steven Wilson released this one as an EP with 2 tracks ('Bornlivedie' and 'Dark Matter') it would be a great record, but...

ProgShine | 2/5 |