Blue ÷yster Cult - On Your Feet Or On Your Knees CD (album) cover

ON YOUR FEET OR ON YOUR KNEES

Blue ÷yster Cult

the philosopher
3 stars The Cult lives.

On Your Feet or on Your Knees is the ultimate cult record: a funeral wagon with the cult symbols parking at dawn for a sinister church on the frontcover. A black bible with the song information and symbols at the backcover. Blue Oyster Cult succesfully build on their cult image.

This live record is the finishing point of B÷C's black & white period. The most succesfull record in this period is without doubt the Secret Treaties. Alive these songs sound a bit more sinister and it is because of their cult image B÷C is often seen as protometal. The music however is still much rock'n roll influenced. On the last side B÷C gives us a glimpse of those who inspired them by playing by playing a cover of Steppenwolf's Born to be Wild. I do own a double live record of Steppenwolf and I must say these bands do have a lot in common qua sound and songprogression. Both are rock'n roll based hardrock bands with lot's of sologuitar melodies.

In my opinion a double record was a bit too ambitious for B÷C. The songs are not varied enough to make this a real succes. The ballad on the beginning on side three is a nice exception. This is still a nice offering and a nice addition for B÷C's fans and gives a good view of their 70's livesound. Some extended solo's will please guitarlovers, although I prefer some more complex guitarwork myself. A nice addition for hardrock fans in general. 3,5 stars!

the philosopher | 3/5 |