Barclay James  Harvest - Welcome To The Show CD (album) cover

WELCOME TO THE SHOW

Barclay James Harvest

rupert
3 stars First impressions often lie... when I heard this album first, I was close to discarting it, I didn't like it for being so cold... and "John lennon's guitar" ( about which a Journalist in germany wrote that "John Lennon would be turning in his grave" ! ) as well as "Shadows on the Sky" were awful songs to me... FIRST.

I clung to "If love is King" and "Where do we go", noticing that "Lady MacBeth" was another good composition but kept from being uplifting by the arrangement ( which is as sinister as the topic, so... it FITS, cold as it is ).

Then came the Live-Shows, in which "Cheap the Bullet" proved to be a classic, and I completely changed my mind about both, "John Lennon's guitar" and "Shadows in the Sky", discovering the beauty of its studiorecordings, too.

"African Nights" has got a fine groove ( Mel Pritchard's drumming is, I may not mention it too often, a pleasure to hear... most of the time... he'll always be missed ! ) and a gentle, nice melody,

"Psychedelic Child" is a good rocker by John Lees and all in all the album ain't that bad... it's only COLD and needs a little time.

Rupert