Nuova Idea - Mr. E. Jones CD (album) cover

Nuova Idea

Rock Progressivo Italiano

4 stars This is my first album by this Italian group, and colour me impressed. I find the fusion category a bit weird... if anything this group sounds, despite the occasional synth and mellotron texture, more like an Italian version of art rock. I can hear bits of Roxy Music, Queen and 10cc all over the place on this record, in the dense harmonies and exuberant, almost glammy atmosphere. There's even a hard rock tune with a Blackmore-esque riff and a section of bubbly, almost Schulz-y synth. There appears to be a concept about some sort of Joe Average guy, but my Italian is all but nonexistant. This group sounds like no other Italian prog I've heard, and this album has moved up near the top of my Italian prog favourites in a very short time.
Heptade | 4/5 |