Beggars Opera - Act One: Beggars Opera CD (album) cover

Beggars Opera

3 stars Beggars Opera is a great band and the Pathfinder was a masterpiece. This recording is still quite raw. There are elements present here that will mature in the coming albums. The singing is strong and there are glimpses of the great melodies to come. As some other reviewers have said there too much and too evident influences here. The Nice and Deep Purple Mk1 but also a lot of Classical material. Suppť is mentioned in the booklet but then there are parts from many compositions not mentioned. One is Sibelius Karelia Series. The Nice used the Intermezzo which is a short crescendo but Beggars Opera take the Alla Marcia which is IMHO much more interesting and has that rhythm...

I think that this is a good CD but not essential. If you should have one BO CD I would suggest the Pathfinder. I'm strugling between 4 and 3 stars. There are undoubtable moments that deserve 4 but the whole is a bit unsteady and therefore I think that 3 stars is the correct amount. Not essential but worth a listen.

pirkka | 3/5 |