Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM) - Ulisse CD (album) cover

ULISSE

Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM)

Rock Progressivo Italiano

andrea
2 stars "Ulisse" is a "concept-album" about Odyssey and the following words of the writer Luciano De Crescenzo are printed in the booklet to explain the "concept" of this work: The Poet says that inside everybody there's a man who desires to go. It doesn't matter where. The most important thing is "to go". Ulysses, the day after the slaughter, woke up and saw nearby Penelope asleep. "I'm happy" the hero thought. His enemies were dead and the royal palace was absolutely quiet. Then he went in his son's bedroom: Telemaco was asleep too. "I'm happy" Ulysses thought one more time. Then he went down to the dock, he saw a new ship and he said to the sailors "We're leaving"

Actually Ulisse "would like to be" a concept album and the idea of this work was quite interesting indeed, but. What a disappointment! The music has nothing to do with the sound of the early seventies. Here you can find only a collection of pop songs. On the short first track (just a prologue) you can hear the voice of the Italian actor Ricky Tognazzi introducing the subject of the album... but the lyrics of Vincenzo Incenzo in my opinion are not so inspired too! Every now and then you can hear in this album just some feeble hints of the past PFM's magic (like in "Il cavallo di legno" and "Il mio nome nessuno" - my favourite Ulisse's tracks) but nothing more than feeble hints.

In the whole an album interesting only for collectors and fans of of the band...

andrea | 2/5 |