Captain Beefheart - Strictly Personal  CD (album) cover

Captain Beefheart

RIO/Avant-Prog

Sean Trane
Prog Folk
4 stars Third album chronologically recorded but second released, this album is the side companion to that delayed Mirror Man (it even shares a track with it), but two things differentiate it: this one is much more concise and to the point and Beefheart refused to acknowledge the "re-mixed" version that was released. If one has to choose one of his two full-blown bluesy albums (one could say progressive blues rock - if that etiquette ever existed), I would advise this one as it represents Beefheart's madness better.

I have rarely read a so accurate description of Beefheart tracks than the one of my friend Chris Gleeson (except for the muddy sound), so please feel free to read it once again. This is maybe my favourite CB&HMB record, and I do not feel bothered by the mix since I never heard the "un-de-mixed" version.

Sean Trane | 4/5 |