Magic Pie - Motions Of Desire  CD (album) cover

MOTIONS OF DESIRE

Magic Pie

bruin69
4 stars I have to thank the people who created this site - I came across it just a couple of weeks ago and since then have been immersed in a world I didn't believe still existed - but PROG RULES!! After all these years!

I am old enough to remember the first incarnations of Floyd, Yes and Genesis, and all the other greats, and I'd despaired of finding bands that had the same creativity and musicianship in the 21st century, but they're all here - not all to my taste, but still flying the prog flag with pride.

And (so far) Magic Pie are the cream of the crop. They have the ability to create soundscapes and vistas that hark back to the best of Yes (Fragile, CTTE, Relayer) with shades of Camel, and have a bright, enthusiastic approach to their production which really lifts your heart. It's the joyous nature of the sound that really attracts me these guys are enjoying themselves hugely, and aren't going down the angst-ridden route so many of the neo-prog groups follow.

I'm only giving this four stars since I've only listened to the album about 10 times, and it is their debut. But let's hope it's the first of many - already they're better than the Flower Kings, and way ahead of most of the other young pretenders...

bruin69 | 4/5 |