Isis - Oceanic CD (album) cover

Experimental/Post Metal

5 stars This is one of those few records that I seriously have never gotten tired of. It really is amazing. I use it very often as a "pump up" disc, cause the songs here are that powerful.

Certianly not your typical prog sound, but that is what really makes this special. They have not simply re-hashed old familar sounds from the '70's, but really taken their own road and created a sound that should really be appreciated by someone looking for a different type of experience.

The vocals have sadly been one of the main reasons people have given them the cold shoulder, and to tell you the truth, I CAN see why. They can be quite harsh at times, and even disturbing, but, at least for me, only at first. They grew on me, and then inside me, until they went completly through me. This goes for the music too. At times, it really feels like it has taken you to the middle of the ocean, with no one in sight, and it doesn't matter, cause it all makes sense. It is listening to you as much as you are listnening to it.

streetcarp19 | 5/5 |