Renaissance - Turn Of The Cards  CD (album) cover

TURN OF THE CARDS

Renaissance

Blacksword
4 stars The usual wonderful, folky, symphonic, naked sprint through a fragrant autumn meadow you may have come to expect from Rennaisance at this time...and why not?! Turn of the Cards is in my opinion a prog masterpiece. Big words, I know, and I never thought Ashes are Burning could be topped, but this album, the bridge between AAB and Scheherazade, does not fall over for a second. Every track is a gem.

The bands performance is stunning as ever, John Tout in particular plays a fine album. The classically inspired piano intro to 'Running Hard' sets the mood perfectly and the graceful symphonic fall into the song itself produces one of those 'hair on the back of your neck moments' Did for me anyway! (Check out the live version on Carngie Hall!!) This is currently my favourite track on the album. The pace of the song gives the impression of charging headlong; wonderful musical onomatopea (yes I know. Thats not how you spell it) 'Things I dont Understand' is another classic with great harmony vocals and a floating haunted feel, as it changes pace and mood, skilfully executed by these very talented musicians.

Mother Russia closes the album perfectly. Another Rennaisnace epic, or perhaps semi epic, to stand proudly alongside 'Ashes are Burning' and 'Song of Scherazade' An addictive album, skillfully played and written with beautiful classical references and one of the best vocal performances from Annie Haslam I've heard.

Blacksword | 4/5 |