Emerson Lake & Palmer - Tarkus CD (album) cover

Emerson Lake & Palmer

5 stars 4.5/5.0

What, this masterpiece is number 97 in the top 100!? I just can't understand why this album is that underrated. This is clearly a masterpiece, whatever one could say! I mean: if in 100 years you wanted to show someone what the prog-music of the 70s was like, you have to listen to Tarkus!

There are many groups which took a lot of influence from Emerson, Lake and Palmer (groups like Pär Lindh Project, as an example), because ELP was original, creative, and there music is imaginative, with a huge drum, MONSTRUOUS keyboards and what a voice! I vae a DVD of them in a show in 1973 and it's simply amazing. ELP is not nly about music; it's an experience!

Musically speaking, my vision of a post-apocalyptic Earth is approximately what Tarkus makes me think of. And whatever some people may think, music is all about this: recreating emotions and travelling through music in mind or time. This music is emotive, rude, violent, yet in all its dysharmony there is some symphony in the chaos.

Tarkus is not only an album: it is an experience. Sure it is not perfect, but not many albums are perfect. However, on balance this is close enough from perfection to be described as a masterpiece!

belz | 5/5 |