Edition Spéciale - Aliquante CD (album) cover

ALIQUANTE

Edition Spéciale

Suedevanshoe
5 stars Incredible album mashing jazz and prog and funk delightfully. A beautiful ride, this album is (to my ears) smoother than an Arnold Palmer after 18 holes in the hot sun.

The record has been in my collection for a long time, yet I'd only played it sporadically. I felt it was great, it lived up to it's hype at allmusic.com, and I listened to #6 repeatedly "Fille du Ruisseau"

It's been on my turntable now for 4 days straight. Blissed out funkafied progjazz is what this treat is. This could just as easily be a Roy Ayers album if he had an affinity for progressive rock. Gorgeous in it's layout and carefully manicured, the sound of this album is culled from Zappa, Return to Forever, and other fusion artists of the day. Even some Gentle Giant in the bassline around the last fifteen seconds of #3 "So Deep Inside" and on into #4"Le Temps D'Un Solo".

It's the execution of the material that puts this masterpiece over the top for me. Each song is a short roller coaster that fits the perfect amusement park. Two bonus track thrown in from an almost equally as strong third album is icing on the cake.

Suedevanshoe | 5/5 |