Porcupine Tree - Deadwing CD (album) cover

DEADWING

Porcupine Tree

Phil
4 stars I'm watching "Masterchef" on the BBC at the moment (what is he on about you cry...???!). Amateur chefs are put through a series of gruelling tests from which one "masterchef" will be chosen. As we go through the heats, often there's a choice to be made between the good cook that sticks to what they know, keeps it simple, and always serves up a consistently high standard; and the cook that tries to be adventurous but sometimes falls short of the mark...is it best to play it safe or take a few chances? Which do you choose?

On "Deadwing", Steve Wilson and co play it safe. It is a fine album, one that I warmed to after just a few listens, with some strong songs (although black mark for the line "like a cancer scare or a dentists chair..."argh!). This album was picked by your esteemed Collaborators (no I am not being sarcastic) as the album of 2005 over others including the more adventurous, but flawed, "Frances the Mute". I can understand why; Deadwing has much to recommend it; no real weakness (apart from the "odd" lyric); I for one think its worthy of 4 stars; but it is the safe choice.

Oh, on Masterchef they tend to pick the adventurous ones, those that moved outside their comfort zone....

Phil | 4/5 |