OHMphrey - Posthaste CD (album) cover

4 stars While not a hug fan of the Jazz genre, i felt a review of this disc in order. I stumbled across this little gem at a pal's place whose tastes run more to the Al Jarreau than to prog. Expecting a night of serious jazz, I found myself drawn to this intriguing blend of jazz, prog and rock.

I am not too familiar with OHM or Umphrey, so I can only tell what my ears heard, and not relate it to any backstory.

This album combines elements of free form jazz with melodic riffs and even sometimes sweeping stanzas to bring together an album of mixed nuts. There is something here, sure to please every ear, even if the whole disc doesn't shoehorn into any one "type" of music. Take for example 'Ramona's Car", which divides its attention between a jazz piece and a proggy Santana. 'The Sun Also Rises" is as progressive a piece of music as I've ever heard, with its long moving musical target and satisfying conclusion. As expected by it's name 'Reggaelic' inserts a gentle reggae bass riff into a nice moving progressive piece of music.

Take note that , if an element of prog is defined by musicianship, these guys fit right in. This is a tight band with interesting music and impecable timing. As a change from the usual, I recommend you get your hands on the disc 'Posthaste', posthaste.

merid1en | 4/5 |