Sylvan - Posthumous Silence  CD (album) cover

3 stars Sylvan's Posthumous Silence is a neo-prog concept album showing more influence from Pink Floyd and Pallas (to my ears, at least) than the usual suspects of Genesis and Marillion. It's an interesting enough effort, though to be honest I don't quite understand the near-universal praise it gets. It's a fairly slow and stodgy piece altogether, and I really don't think the ideas presented justify the 70 minute plus running time. Apparently, this was recorded simultaneously with Presets, which showcased the more accessible end of Sylvan's style; I can't help but wonder whether they'd have produced a superior work if they'd made a shorter album consisting of the best musical ideas from both.
Warthur | 3/5 |