Moira - Moira (aka Reise Nach Ixtlan) CD (album) cover

MOIRA (AKA REISE NACH IXTLAN)

Moira

Pink Freud
5 stars This is such a great album that it really needs at least one review on here. I have heard both Moira albums and Crazy Countdown is excellent but this second album is a significant improvement because it's a more cohesive musical statement. Crazy Countdown features a series of shorter instrumental pieces that are good on their own but don't have a consistent sound and so it's more like a collection of musical sketches rather than an album that holds together as a unit. Not so with Reise Nach Ixtlan ? the first three pieces on this album contain some incredible fusion. In terms of comparisons, the music on this album is reminiscent of electric Miles Davis, Speed Limit, or Secret Oyster. Finally, don't be fooled by the fact that this album was released in the mid 1980s ? there is nothing "eighties" about the music. I've read that this album was likely recorded in the 1970s and then shelved for several years, which would explain why the sound is so warm and genuine.

My only problem is that there is a sharp drop off in quality with the last two cuts, mostly due to the vocals on "Einsame Schatten" and the narration on "Resume", but those two tracks only account for about 7 or 8 minutes and the rest of the music is so good that I can forgive it. I would highly recommend this to any fan of 1970s-style jazz fusion.

Pink Freud | 5/5 |