The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night CD (album) cover

A HARD DAY'S NIGHT

The Beatles

Proto-Prog

Dayvenkirq
4 stars This is an exciting blend of part-fiction with comedy, and it has The Beatles in it. Yes, it is a very enjoyable film.

John: "He's a nice old man, isn't he?"

Paul: [nodding] "He is very clean."

That's just something to see, not just read.

Also, if you want to see the girls chasing the Fab Four a few more times, here is your chance. I personally don't care so much for the meaning of the story. The film was made for entertainment, as far as I can see.

Here the band performs an almost single-album-size slew of songs, nearly all of which are my favorites. I said "nearly" because I think the instrumental track "Ringo's Theme (This Boy)" is OK, although even in that one the band displays their R&B-pop sensibilities with the focus on pop ballad writing. As for the rest, I'm not going to say anything that's been said many times by other Beatle-lovers. However, I do want to add that I'd really like to see the band play those songs live instead of just pasting in studio versions.

Ratings/comments (if you have to ask):

Stamp: "I like it."