Ian Anderson - Thick As A Brick 2: Whatever Happened To Gerald Bostock? CD (album) cover

THICK AS A BRICK 2: WHATEVER HAPPENED TO GERALD BOSTOCK?

Ian Anderson

Prog Folk

catsclaw
5 stars I didn't think I would be saying this, but this is my favorite release of 2012 so far. I had low expectations about this album after hearing about it's premise. I felt like it was going to be a tired old attempt to capitalize on a classic. (I'm looking at you, Yes...)

But this is really good! The new guitarist is solid, if not surprisingly good. It's ambitious and it feels like I really am lead through the story of what happened to Gerald Bostock. Granted I haven't studied the lyrics, but I listened closely in the 5 or 6 spins since my first bare-naked listen.

It's a solid mix of rockin' riffs, acoustic guitar and flute.

If you like the original, I can't imagine that you would dislike this. Very, very, pleasantly surprised!

catsclaw | 5/5 |