Magic Pie - Motions Of Desire  CD (album) cover

MOTIONS OF DESIRE

Magic Pie

adigitaldan
4 stars An impressive debute release to say the least. Given the look of grey hair from a couple of the band members, you can tell they have a good deal of maturity that belies a debut release. The music harkens back to the days when Kansas, Deep Purple, and Uriah Heep roamed the earth with authority. I don't see that much Genesis or Yes in there style and would more classify this band as Art Rock. Not that any of this is bad, quite to the contrary. The music is fantastic, and even when it isn't, it's still inspired. Changes is an incredible epic song. I, for one, love long songs because it gives me a chance to really sink into the music. This song has everything a Kansas/Purple/Heep fan could want. Great rocking sound, high quality musicianship and vocal harmonies. The bad also makes great use of music styles like switching to a wonderful acoustic guitar sequence in Changes or even mixing in some reggae in the case of Full Circle Poetry making it quite a unique composition.

I don't think you can go wrong with this album. It is definitely a classic rock throwback without being lost in the past or lost in their influences. This disc can be a bit tricky to track down in the USA, so look for an importer. I picked it up for about $20, and it's worth every cent.

adigitaldan | 4/5 |