Spock's Beard - The Light  CD (album) cover

Spock's Beard

3 stars I'm a big, big fan of '70's Yes, Genesis et al so I was told to give Spock's Beard a try... but you know, just because I am doesn't mean that's the only style of music I want to listen to!!

Overall, this is too derivative for my taste; and as other reviewers have pointed out, the vocals are weak, and often a theme is discarded before it's been properly developed.

It's an enjoyable enough album, but listening to it doesn't set the pulse racing in the way listening to Close to the Edge or Going for the One did when I first heard those. No, if I want that reaction, I'll wait for the next Tool or The Mars Volta release...

Phil | 3/5 |