Yes - Tormato CD (album) cover

4 stars I have a soft spot for this album: the keyboards are thin and digital sounding (a process begun on Going for the One), the arrangements are messy and a little random, the bass is a bit overwhelming at times, the cover is a disgrace and the lyrics hit an all time low - speaking for myself I much prefer the ones where poetry wins out over meaning (Fragile / Close). But having said all that, this album came out at a special time in my life and there are great resonances. The openers are superb - flying through harmonic changes with a breathtaking speed, this is Yes tuneful but daring. Release, Release works as a heavier statement, Madrigal has some lovely touches (but lacks the sophistication and panache of Turn of the Century), Onward has a charm somewhat marred by the guitar arrangements and Circus of Heaven is one of the Wondrous Stories (children's version). As has been said before, this is not an album to convert any newcomers to Yes, and is one of their weaker pre-80's offerings, but still head & shoulders over most of the releases it accompanied.
Moribund | 4/5 |