Astra - The Black Chord CD (album) cover

THE BLACK CHORD

Astra

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Gandalff
2 stars I really wonder why the Astra's new album is so exceptional that it had occupied the Top of 2012 Prog albums chart. Perhaps it's a popular by some "fuddy-duddies", who, while listening to old music, like to drink 12-years old whiskey or 60-years old wine. And they just gave the most votes to this "old-new" piece.

So, I'm one of those die-hards, I admit it without torture. But I prefer the originals rather than copies. And the music of the band Astra is just an exemplary case of imitation. Well-known musical motifs and techniques that were developed more than 40 years ago, are blended together into an indeterminate sound wall, which thus becomes to infinitely boring and somewhat insane mixture. Compared to the previous album "The Weirding", Astra eliminated at least some direct and most apparent reminiscences of famous Prog Epics, like "Meddle" or "Cirkus". But this is also the only positive, with whom they come now.

However, it seems to me that the previous album was still more varied and more interesting. So, "The Black Chord"? I would say rather "The Grey Boredom." There is an impression I have from this album.

Just two stars indeed, I'm sorry.

Gandalff | 2/5 |