Zenit - Surrender CD (album) cover

4 stars I got Surrender one week ago, and it is still running in my cd player. The vocals are outstanding, not the usual neo-prog melancholic pudding! Tracks like "I Ching" or "The Cathedral" simply have something that is really new, never heard before. The recording/production quality is AAA-grade. Every time i listen to it, I discover some new detail. Drums are crystal clear, guitars are straight and heart touching, the keyboard sound are so modern but still *real* progressive rock sounds. The Long tracks ("Surrender", "New1c" and Yin & Yang") are very close being masterpieces of contemporary progressive rock. They slip from jazzy ambiances to very 80's IQ-ish prog. Sure the guitar player must be a Spock's Beard lover, but still he always finds something original from his own to play! The variety of moods and sounds make this album also suitable to non-prog' listeners. "The City" and "Devil's Siesta" are simply good rock songs. The sounds are not classic, but still it IS pure progressive rock.
| 4/5 |