Ulver - Shadows Of The Sun CD (album) cover

Post Rock/Math rock

4 stars Ulver's Shadows of the Sun is a slower and more sedate album than the neurotic and twitchy Blood Inside, and on first listening I couldn't help but think it's a bit of a step down for the band. It's certainly the most calmly ambient release Ulver had produced up to this point, and I found their cover of Black Sabbath's Solitude particularly baffling. In retrospect, it's rather grown on me in its melancholy and minimalistic way, and the Solitude cover feels apt - it's got the same feel of a nostalgic and wistful sunset that the rest of the album evokes. Whilst I still don't like it as much as Blood Inside, I've begun to come around to its charms.
Warthur | 4/5 |