The Muffins - Palindrome CD (album) cover

PALINDROME

The Muffins

Canterbury Scene

muddymouth
4 stars Palindrome features a rejuvenated Muffins and is a huge improvement over their last two releases. They no longer seem bogged down with over-production and modern (read: 00's repeating the 80's) gimmickery. The songwriting is strong, and the production allows the songs to shine.

Some imagery conjured: A search party has set sail in an attempt to find wreckage (Amelia Earhart's?) in "Not Yet Awake". In "Fishing In America", a bathyscaphe is plumbing the depths for remains of the plane. So okay, much of this work reminds me of the Manna/Mirage era, and I make no apologies. 'Tis a good thing. On a different note, imagine a "Trick Of The Tail" outtake with Gabriel on vocals; that's where "Kingfish" takes me.

A remarkably cohesive effort for a work that I understand was assembled largely with remote contributions from the band members. Here's to modern methods and (relatively) vintage instruments!

muddymouth | 4/5 |