Alquin - Marks CD (album) cover

4 stars Alquins debut album is their most versatile album. You can hear snippets of calypso, circus music, Dixieland and country music. But most of it is progressive rock with a jazzy feel. It is largely instrumental, but there are some tracks with vocals. It is produced by Hans van Oosterhout who has earned his credits as a producer with bands like Supersister and Drama.

The album opens slowly with some nice flute playing by Ottenhof, half way the track the tempo goes up, we hear some guitar, a piano and suddenly we are in Louisiana. When the main theme returns, this is segued into the second track. Here the focus is on the sax. Soft royce starts laid back, with some nice guitar and organ playing. This is also the first track with vocals. Next is the circus of Mr. Barnum, very up tempo with violin, flute and sax.

The absolute highlight of this album is the long I wish I could. It is built up very slowly with a very spooky sound, after a few minutes the track sort of restarts. It contains great solos and several tempo changes. This is followed by a ballad and a Canterbury-ish track. The last track has again the electric violin as the main attraction.

Agemo | 4/5 |