Ayers Rock - Hotspell CD (album) cover

HOTSPELL

Ayers Rock

RobyB
3 stars Hotspell i believe to be a solid album with great songs and with some excellent playing but they were not the same band anymore. I was disapointed when i first bought this album, but grew to really like it because even though they didn't follow the same path as before, they still showed their class on this album.

I would say they remind me of Doobie Brothers when Michael McDonald was in the band, because Andy Cowan sounded almost exactly the same as a vocalist. (Same voice and vocal mannerisms i feel). Not necessarily a bad thing but it altered the band style enormously when he sang lead vocal. With this album i suppose they removed themselves from being anything close to jazz/rock, and definitely prog. (If they ever were?)

I would recommend it as a very good album by a great band. Unfortunately, you will probably never find a copy to judge for yourself. As an independant release by the band, (incidently engineered by former bass member Duncan McGuire) it would have to be considered extremely rare today!

RobyB | 3/5 |