Pure Reason Revolution - Amor Vincit Omnia CD (album) cover

Pure Reason Revolution

2 stars Pure Reason Revolution's second album is a shallow attempt at mimicing the conventions of electro-rock, just as their debut album was a fairly shallow New Prog effort with a bunch of borrowed Pink Floyd motifs. I think the reason that it doesn't sit well with me - just as its predecessor eventually came to sit poorly with me after my initially enthusiastic reaction - is that there's a sense of insincerity about the whole thing. I don't feel that Pure Reason Revolution are really committed to this new direction of theirs any more than they were committed to their early Diet Floyd direction; I can't shake the impression that they're just adopting whatever musical style seems fashionably arty to them at the time. After this and their debut I have no idea where Pure Reason Revolution's heart is or what, if any, artistic vision they actually have.
Warthur | 2/5 |