Time - Vrijeme CD (album) cover

VRIJEME

Time

erik neuteboom
3 stars I got this CD as a promo and I always thought that the band name was Vrijeme. Until I noticed on this site the Yugoslavian band Time and checking out their albums I discovered that Vrijeme was the title of a compilation from their first album (1972) plus bonustracks (their single/B-side and two live songs, all from 1973).

Apart from the wonderful Yugoslavian vocals this band sounds like the Early British Progressive Rock Movement (Julian's Treatment, Beggar's Opera, Atomic Rooster and Rare Bird) because of the omnipresent Hammond, the fiery electric guitar and the melodic, tastefully arranged compositions. There is also a nice variation with instruments like the flute, piano, acoustic guitar and even the ubiquitous Mellotron can be heard (short but strongly like Gracious). The electric guitar work is strong and varied: a fine duet with the organ in The Real Machine, bluesy in Song Nr. 3 and a great build-up in the long 'magnum opus' For What Life I Should Be Born (fiery wah-wah in the end), drenched in Hammond organ waves. The four bonustracks are no more or less than a nice addition: the single Tell Me Gypsy sounds like early The Who and the two live songs are more guitar-oriented. If you love the Hammond organ and you are up to the emotional Yugoslavian vocals, this compilation CD is a fine discovery!

erik neuteboom | 3/5 |