Ian Anderson - Thick As A Brick 2: Whatever Happened To Gerald Bostock? CD (album) cover

THICK AS A BRICK 2: WHATEVER HAPPENED TO GERALD BOSTOCK?

Ian Anderson

Prog Folk

russellk
2 stars So IAN ANDERSON decides to write a follow-up to the great 'Thick as a Brick'. I don't know why - and, truly, I wish he hadn't. For as pretty as this is, it detracts from the original.

He goes at it with all the gusto of a 64-year-old, and it shows in the music. Few risks, little energy and none of the joie de vivre we enjoyed from the first TAAB. A few motifs lifted from the original - the strongest figure (Banker Bets, Banker Wins, and others) seems to have been taken from the song 'Minstrel in the Gallery' - a bit of acoustic noodling and some limp flute. Was there a rhythm section? I didn't hear one.

The concept is about as interesting as the music. A younger ANDERSON would have selected one future for Gerald Bostock and followed it through. Providing us with a range of possible futures is a cop-out. None of them touch us because we know they're all illusory.

Annoyingly, his trick worked. I bought the album. I had to: what if it had been worthy of the original?

It wasn't.