Robert Wyatt - The End Of An Ear CD (album) cover

THE END OF AN EAR

Robert Wyatt

Canterbury Scene

Andrea Cortese
2 stars ...and what is this?

Sometimes it is necessary to test our ears with something new from what we're used to listen to. I have been really impressed when I listened to this 1970 album for the first time. "The End of an Ear"...very few titles are more correct than this one! Don't worry! I gave this freely jazz improvisation more and more spins, but the result is the same.

I don't know canterbury genre well, neither I know the discography of Robert Wyatt. I'm trying, though, to enlarge my knowledge, but I have to confess that this genre very difficulty would become my favourite one. I understand the value of The End... in the whole prog scenario. Jazzy experiments and avantgardisms: this is what the album is made of. An ambitious work for that time. Not exactly what I call my personal cup of tea. Neither what I was searching for from Wyatt.

2 and a half stars.