Astra - The Black Chord CD (album) cover

Psychedelic/Space Rock

4 stars When I first listened to this album, I had the vague and pleasant feeling that the present record manages to capture those classic prog nuances. I shall not approach this review analitically because I feel that the album has an internal coherence, start to finish. It should not be listened to with a song-by-song method, but as a journey. And a fine musical journey it is.

However, I am not gonna give this one a five star because there is one thing missing: progressiveness. By this I do not mean that it is not a prog album. On the contrary, it is a - very - prog album. But, it is rooted so powerfully in classic prog sounds, song structures, scales and rhythms, that it hardly reaches new grounds in terms of musical forwardness. The original element here is more of a reinterpretation / re-evaluation of the classic prog album. However, it is not an original album in the way, let's say, 70's King Crimson albums were. Not groundbreaking...

I really enjoyed it and shall certainly listen to it again and again. The effort these guys made must be thoroughly appreciated. For nostalgic prog heads this will trully be a delight.

Keep 'em coming guys!