Cynic - Focus CD (album) cover

FOCUS

Cynic

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

int_2375
5 stars One of the things I look for in an album that I don't see many people mention is visuals. In the case of Cynic, I am left bewildered by the visual experience every time. The music brings me into an alien atmosphere. Imagine that you are floating in spiritual cyberspace. This is not music you listen to for the cool riffs or to marvel at guitar solos. It is about the way it makes you feel and the places it takes you.

The range of emotion here is dynamic, and that is one of the album's greatest strengths. One standout is the instrument Textures, The 2004 remaster of this album includes three atmospheric tracks featuring female vocals instead of the death metal growls, and they are just as brilliant. It also features some excellent remixes of three tracks, even better than the original masterpieces.

Along with bands like Meshuggah and Tool, Cynic takes prog metal to another place, leaving no trace of anything familiar. There is no point in this album when I think "typical metal riff" or "I saw that one coming". Its like exploring an alien planet. I'll take that kind of imaginitive musical exploration over a soulless technical wankfest any day.

int_2375 | 5/5 |