Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff CD (album) cover

Van Der Graaf Generator

5 stars This is my first VDGG record and I have to say I'm really surprised!! This guys are excellent musicians and Peter Hamill has an excellent vocal perfomance in all the tracks. He really shows his voice at his best here. Guy Evans it's very dinamic and energetic with the drums on this record. Hugh Banton and David Jackson really show their talent, the first one with the organ in all the tracks marking the base of the melody and the other one collaborating with the main melody and the solos. With relation of the tracks, we know that are just four but who cares??? The four ones are very well elaborated and the compositon is very very good. The Undercover Man starts very quiet with a constant flute sound and Peter Hamill singing in a very low tune. Then the song it goes structuring little by little and it ends with a very nice melody and a very good vocal perfomance by Hamill. Good track!!! Scorched Earth it's a very powerful song if we are talking about symphonic prog. Very good perfomance of all the musicians. Arrow really shows Hamill's voice at his best. He it's excellent here. It starts with a jazzy improvisation (Evans really rocks here) and the song continues with a powerful melody and a killer voice by Hamill. The Sleepwalkers it's without any doubt the best track in the album. It has a lot of tempo changes and the sax solo by Jackson it's really amazing. Excellent track!!!!!!!!

I think this is a must have for any prog fan specially for any symphonic prog fan. Essential: a masterpiece of progressive music.

Fede | 5/5 |