Mastodon - The Hunter CD (album) cover

THE HUNTER

Mastodon

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

theRunawayV
5 stars I had the pleasure of seeing Mastodon play songs off of this album live with Opeth, and I must say they were spectacular. They had the crowd moshing to just about every song, and many people even knew the words to ALL of the songs. Impressive. So I picked up the album and gave it a spin. I knew that I shouldn't give it a review after just the first listen, so after the second listen I have come to the conclusion that this is THE metal album to own in 2012, and possibly even this decade.

Almost all of the other reviewers mention the fact that these guys do something different on every record so I won't go into that very much, but I will say that it is indeed different. Those looking for a carbon copy of 2009's Crack The Skye, look elsewhere. This album offers up 13 unique songs.

I usually do song by song reviews, but those can be found in abundance on this al;bum. What I will say, is that if you like sludge metal with psychedelic influences and incredible songwriting and production, give The Hunter a couple of spins. You will not be disappointed.

My favorite tracks: Stargasm Black Tongue Curl of the Burl Bedazzled Fingernails Creature Lives The Hunter Blasteroid Thickening All the Heavy Lifting

theRunawayV | 5/5 |