Yes - The Yes Album CD (album) cover

5 stars This superb album put Yes on the map, and when I first heard it, it came as an incredibly fresh breath of air. Until then, I didn't have a clue that rock bands could sound so visionary.

Nowadays, I don't play THE YES ALBUM all that much - particularly since I've heard Bill Bruford explain that "Yours is no Disgrace" was based on the "Bonanza" theme tune... The main exception to my rule is "Starship Trooper", probably the best thing Yes ever created. I would happily go to my grave without hearing "All Good People" ever again, but "Starship Trooper" is one of those tracks that LIFT ME UP (just like Bach's B Minor Mass, or Beethoven's 6th symphony) whenever I give it a spin. But oh - Mr Howe's extended guitar solo on "Yours is no Disgrace" isn't half bad either...

fuxi | 5/5 |