Coral Caves - Mitopoiesi CD (album) cover

MITOPOIESI

Coral Caves

Rock Progressivo Italiano

Mellotron Storm
3 stars I just read in the bio here that they used to be a PINK FLOYD tribute band and while the music here isn't in the same style as FLOYD's, the guitar work brought Gilmour to mind many times. This is a pretty good debut from these young Italians. Funny when I first listened to it I went in thinking they were a Psychedelic band just because of their band name. Boy was I wrong. This is good music though with Italian vocals.

"Mitopoiesi" gets things started with lots of synths as the vocals join in then the guitar replaces the vocals after 1 1/2 minutes. The guitar continues until before 4 1/2 minutes. More synths in there though after 3 minutes. Good start. "Sorridi" opens with the sound of a motorcycle starting and taking off. Bass and drums take over then it gets fuller. A psychedelic calm after 1 1/2 minutes is brief then it changes as vocals and piano come in. Not a fan of the latter sound. Guitar 4 1/2 minutes in then it speeds up a minute later. It becomes spacey after 6 minutes to the end. "Cliff Of Moher" is strummed guitar as the keyboards and vocals join in. It picks up with synths. Not a fan of this one. "Senza Di Me" opens with gentle guitar as electric guitar solos over top. Reserved vocals join in. A melancholic track and I really like this. It does pick up though with guitar 4 minutes in. Organ too. My favourite right there.

"Ricordi" sounds like Gilmour as far as the guitar work goes. "Torno A Casa" is one I can't get into until it settles down without the vocals. "Tenochtitlan" features prominant drums as the guitar solos over top. Reserved vocals replace the guitar. More passion 2 minutes in. I like when the guitar goes on and on. "Eterno Ritornon" opens with atmosphere and rain. Vocals after a minute as it changes. Nice guitar follows. Vocals are back before 5 minutes. "Il Dolce Canto Della Terra" is the over 13 minute closer. It has this nice laid back sound with organ and more as reserved vocals join in. A calm with acoustic guitar and flute 4 minutes. The opening theme is back after 9 1/2 minutes.

I really enjoyed certain sections but overall 3 stars is the most I can give.

Mellotron Storm | 3/5 |